The Fantastic Other is open to general submissions year-round. We publish in the summer and winter. Below are the rules for our upcoming summer issue.
The deadline to submit for our summer issue is July 15th at 11:59 PM EST. Our tentative publication date for this issue is August 20th.
The best way to learn what we are looking for is to read us! All of our issues are available to read for free online. To check out our Winter 2023 issue, click here. You might just find something you like, too!
Guidelines for General Submissions:
- All submissions should follow the core code of the magazine: write or illustrate something fantastic. We are interested in all things fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal, surrealist, fabulist, and magical realist. Show off your weird!
- Fiction submissions should be no longer than 3,500 words. Fiction submissions that are 1,000 words or fewer will be considered as flash fiction. Poetry submissions should be no longer than 50 lines and under three pages. Please send no more than two fiction or flash fiction pieces or four poems per issue.
- Fiction submissions should be double-spaced. All submissions should be in a size 12, no-nonsense font (arial, times new roman, etc).
- We can work with Word DOC, DOCX, and PDF files for fiction and poetry. For art, we can take JPG, PNG, and PDF files.
- We do not discriminate based on race, sex, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, disabilities, or religious beliefs. In fact, we welcome and celebrate diversity in our contributors. Similarly, we will not publish works that promote discrimination or bigotry of any kind. Please do not send us work that denigrates women or minorities.
- Submissions must be original works of your own and unpublished. That includes previous posts in social media and blog pages.
- We acquire First North American Serial Rights on submissions we elect to publish. On publication, rights revert back to the author. We request that you credit us as the initial publisher.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please inform us as soon as conveniently possible if your submission is accepted elsewhere.
- Cover letters are optional, but let us know what name you wish to be published under and your personal pronouns, along with a short bio (3-4 sentences). If you have a social media handle you’d like to use, please let us know.
- We are currently only able to offer a token payment of 5 USD for each accepted piece, payed through PayPal. We hope to improve this payment in the near future.
- Please send your submissions to email@example.com, with either Fiction, Flash Fiction, Poetry, or Art in the email title. Include your submission(s) as an attachment. If you are submitting for multiples genres, please send those in separate emails.
Support The Fantastic Other with our Feedback Response or our Quick Response Options:
Feedback Response Submission
Would you like a more detailed response to your submission? We are now offering a Feedback Response option! This is a good option for all authors who would like their work evaluated by a team of editors for possible edits that may make them more appealing to magazines and journals. For each Feedback Response submission, we will provide a comprehensive list of what we like and what we think may be improved. And if we actually like all of it? Don’t worry! Using this option does not disqualify your piece from acceptance by our own magazine. For a feedback response submission, simply hit the payment button below. Once you have completed your transaction via Paypal, email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the words “feedback response” in the title and put your transaction ID from PayPal in the body of the email. All other submission rules apply. Note: Each donation of 10 USD applies to only 1 submission. You may make multiple donations for multiple feedback response submissions. Our team will endeavor to respond within one week of receiving your submission. Our responses are usually faster, but if there is a delay, we will notify you.
Quick Response Submission
Can’t wait to hear back from us? We have decided to add a 3-day response submission option. Though we at The Fantastic Other still endeavor to keep submissions open and free, if you make a one-time donation, we promise to deliver you a response for your submission within 72 hours. For a quick response submission, simply hit the payment button below. Once you have completed your transaction via Paypal, email your submission to fantasticother.com. Include the words “quick response” in the title and put your transaction ID from PayPal in the body of the email. All other submission rules apply. Note: Each donation of 3 USD applies to only 1 submission. You may make multiple donations for multiple quick response submissions. The 72 hours begins when we receive your submission. If we need corrections to your document for eligibility or readability, the timer will be extended. A full refund will be sent to your PayPal account if we do not respond within the promised time frame.