The Fantastic Other is open to general submissions year-round. Our next issue is scheduled to drop in August of 2021. We are looking for fiction, poetry, and art submissions.
We are also hosting our second annual flash fiction contest. Contest rules can be found here.
Below are our guidelines for general submission:
- All submissions should follow the core code of the magazine: write or illustrate something fantastic. We are interested in all things fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal, surrealist, fabulist, and magical realist. Show off your weird!
- Fiction submissions should be no longer than 3,500 words. Poetry submissions should no longer than 50 lines or three pages.
- Fiction submissions should be double-spaced. All submissions should be in a size 12, no-nonsense font (arial, times new roman, etc).
- We can work with Word DOC, DOCX, and PDF files for fiction and poetry. For art, we can take JPG, PNG, and PDF files.
- There is no cost for submission, but we are unable to compensate our authors at this time (unless otherwise stated in special contest rules).
- We do not discriminate based on race, sex, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, disabilities, or religious beliefs. In fact, we welcome and celebrate diversity in our contributors.
- Submissions must be original works of your own and unpublished. That includes previous posts in social media and blog pages.
- We acquire First North American Serial Rights on submissions we elect to publish. On publication, rights revert back to the author. We request that you credit us as the initial publisher.
- Multiple submissions and simultaneous submissions are accepted. In cases of multiple submissions, only one piece will be selected.
- Cover letters are optional, but let us know what name you wish to be published under and add a blurb about yourself in 1-2 sentences. If you have a social media handle you’d like to use, please let us know.
- Please send your submissions to email@example.com.
We at The Fantastic Other will never require you to pay to submit your work; we believe that the time and effort that authors and artists put into their work should be respected. It is our goal to one day be able to pay every one of our contributors. To help keep us showcasing the fantastic work we receive, you can make a voluntary donation via Paypal here.