The Fantastic Other is open to general submissions year-round. Below are the rules for our upcoming summer issue.
If you would like to find out more about our magazine before you submit or just read some fantastic stories, you can check out our Winter 2022 Issue by clicking here.
Hello, everyone! We have already received a stunning amount of interest in our next issue, so an announcement was long overdue. As always, our second issue of the year is going to be released in the summer. The last day to submit will be July 10th.
As for the theme this time? There is none! That is, there is no theme aside from the weirdness and wonder that we are always striving for. So please, write the fantastic piece you dreamed about. Paint the town (and your stories) red or yellow or whichever hue moves you. We are looking for short fiction, flash fiction, poetry, and art submissions. All contributors published for this issue will be awarded 5 USD via PayPal. It is a small token payment, but we hope to be able to expand this in the future.
Below are our guidelines for general submissions:
- All submissions should follow the core code of the magazine: write or illustrate something fantastic. We are interested in all things fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal, surrealist, fabulist, and magical realist. Show off your weird!
- Fiction submissions should be no longer than 3,500 words. Poetry submissions should no longer than 50 lines and under three pages. Please send no more than two fiction or flash fiction pieces or four poems per issue.
- Fiction submissions should be double-spaced. All submissions should be in a size 12, no-nonsense font (arial, times new roman, etc).
- We can work with Word DOC, DOCX, and PDF files for fiction and poetry. For art, we can take JPG, PNG, and PDF files.
- There is no cost for submission. Contributors for our next issue will be awarded 5 USD via PayPal per accepted piece.
- We do not discriminate based on race, sex, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, disabilities, or religious beliefs. In fact, we welcome and celebrate diversity in our contributors. Similarly, we will not publish works that promote discrimination or bigotry of any kind.
- Submissions must be original works of your own and unpublished. That includes previous posts in social media and blog pages.
- We acquire First North American Serial Rights on submissions we elect to publish. On publication, rights revert back to the author. We request that you credit us as the initial publisher.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please inform us as soon as conveniently possible if your submission is accepted elsewhere.
- Cover letters are optional, but let us know what name you wish to be published under and add a blurb about yourself in 1-2 sentences. If you have a social media handle you’d like to use, please let us know.
- Please send your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, with either Fiction, Flash Fiction, Poetry, or Art in the email title. If you are submitting for multiples genres, please send those in separate emails.
We at The Fantastic Other will never require you to pay to submit your work; we believe that the time and effort that authors and artists put into their work should be respected. It is our goal to one day be able to fairly pay every one of our contributors. To help keep us showcasing the fantastic work we receive, you can make a voluntary donation via Paypal here.