The Fantastic Other is open to general submissions year-round, but we are currently reading for our winter issue.
The theme for our winter issue is subversion: the act of overthrowing, undermining, corrupting, or causing the downfall of a power structure or organization. Send us your personal interpretation of this theme. We are looking for short fiction, flash fiction, poetry, and art submissions. All contributors published for this issue will be awarded 5 USD via PayPal. It is a small token payment, but we hope to be able to expand this in the future. Our winter issue will drop in February 2022.
Below are our guidelines for general submission:
- All submissions should follow the core code of the magazine: write or illustrate something fantastic. We are interested in all things fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal, surrealist, fabulist, and magical realist. Show off your weird!
- Fiction submissions should be no longer than 3,500 words. Poetry submissions should no longer than 50 lines or three pages.
- Fiction submissions should be double-spaced. All submissions should be in a size 12, no-nonsense font (arial, times new roman, etc).
- We can work with Word DOC, DOCX, and PDF files for fiction and poetry. For art, we can take JPG, PNG, and PDF files.
- There is no cost for submission. Contributors for our next issue will be awarded 5 USD via PayPal per accepted piece.
- We do not discriminate based on race, sex, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, disabilities, or religious beliefs. In fact, we welcome and celebrate diversity in our contributors. Similarly, we will not publish works that promote discrimination or bigotry of any kind.
- Submissions must be original works of your own and unpublished. That includes previous posts in social media and blog pages.
- We acquire First North American Serial Rights on submissions we elect to publish. On publication, rights revert back to the author. We request that you credit us as the initial publisher.
- Multiple submissions and simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please inform us as soon as conveniently possible if your submission is accepted elsewhere. In cases of multiple submissions, only one piece will be selected within a genre.
- Cover letters are optional, but let us know what name you wish to be published under and add a blurb about yourself in 1-2 sentences. If you have a social media handle you’d like to use, please let us know.
- Please send your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We at The Fantastic Other will never require you to pay to submit your work; we believe that the time and effort that authors and artists put into their work should be respected. It is our goal to one day be able to fairly pay every one of our contributors. To help keep us showcasing the fantastic work we receive, you can make a voluntary donation via Paypal here.